BY BRANDI BUZZARD
A very big ‘hello!’ from Wildcat Land in Manhattan, KS. My name is Brandi Buzzard and I’m the newly-appointed Social Media Coordinator for the Young Producer’s Council. If you’d like to read a little bit more about my background, you can read my introductory Cattle Call post here. If not, I’ll quickly summarize the important points:
- I’m finishing up my M.S. in Animal Science from Kansas State University – defending this semester!
- I grew up rodeoing and showing livestock in southeastern Kansas.
- I’m extremely passionate about agriculture, livestock and advocacy. I wish there was a word that was stronger than passionate, because I would use it in this situation.
- I am also more than passionate about Kansas and K-State.
- I cannot wait to start raising cattle and farming with my husband.
- I’m addicted to Twitter.
Although I’ve been a YPC member for about two years now, I found myself wanting to get more involved and am very excited to be doing that through one of my favorite activities – utilizing social media! I’ll be coming to you live and promoting the Cattle Call blog through Twitter (@YPCBeef and @brandibuzzard) and the Facebook groups NCBA Young Producer’s Council and NCBA Young Producer Council Blog. Be sure to check out these groups often for exciting information about YPC and the most recent news in the cattle industry. You can also check out my personal blog, Buzzard’s Beat, for more agriculture commentary or read other posts I’ve written on Cattle Call.
To give you a little more information about myself, these are some of the things that have me worried about the beef industry in 2012:
- Decreased cow herd size
- Animal rights extremist pressures/attacks
- Estate tax changes
- The upcoming Farm Bill
- Department of Labor proposed regulations on child labor
These are all issues that drastically effect our industry and as the year progresses I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities to discuss them. Please feel free to contact me if you have any comments.
Until next time,
~ Buzzard ~